Writing in the Gap offers a full range of writing and editing services, for all types of written work and for all types of clients and authors.
Technical writing and editing services include:
- all types of research in any subject matter
- preparation of drafts for all types of documents in all subjects
- information management (specialising in synthesis of very large amounts of information to produce reader-friendly, plain English reports)
- preparation of submissions and proposals (specialising in summaries of submissions to government inquiries)
- preparation of summary reports
- scribing for all types of events (workshops and conferences)
- preparation of workshop and conference reports
- minuting of meetings (high-level meetings a specialty)
- substantive editing, copy editing, verification editing and proofreading
- editing of academic theses (Honours, Masters and PhD).
Creative writing services include:
- editing of manuscripts for grammar and punctuation errors
- editing of manuscripts for errors of inconsistency
- continuity editing
- structural editing
- advice on scene and plot development
- advice on characterisation
- writing coaching.
Our training and personalised coaching services include:
- public sector and corporate training in
- improving writing efficiency and effectiveness
- grammar and punctuation
- editing skills
- one-on-one and small-group coaching in writing and editing skills.
Services for the business sector include:
- preparation of business plans
- preparation and/or editing of tenders
- editing of major documents (e.g. contracts, proposals, marketing and sales).
The Creative Director of Writing in the Gap, Dr Philippa (Pippa) Carron, has had over 20 years experience in writing and editing. While she is able to research and write quickly and effectively on any topic, she specialises in science, health, agriculture and the environment. She has provided writing and editing skills courses, and one-one-one writing coaching services, to government and private sector clients for over 10 years.
For a quote on any of these services, please email email@example.com
- Batemans Bay Writers Festival (workshop presentations)
- Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (training)
- ACT Writers Centre (writing workshops)
- Department of Communications and the Arts (training)
- Territory and Municipal Services, ACT Government (editing)
- SPS Strategic Property Services (ACT) Pty Ltd (writing)
- Biotext Pty Ltd (editing)
- Yarrendale Enterprises Pty Ltd (editing)
- ActewAGL Distribution (editing)
- Department of Industry and Science (training)
- Department of Human Services (training)
- Department of Education (training)
- CHC Affordable Housing (writing and document assimilation)
- North Queensland Land Council (training)
- Cape York Land Council (training)
- Department of Agriculture (training)
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (editing)
Self-Editing for Fiction and Non-Fiction Writers Workshop, 11 September 2016, Batemans Bay Writers Festival,
‘I attended Dr Pippa Carron’s workshop recently at the Batemans Bay Writers Festival on Sunday 11 September 2016 and I was most impressed with Pippa’s extensive knowledge on editing and publishing protocol. The word that best describes Pippa Carron is she is very professional in her approach. Her presentation style was engaging and she willingly responded to questions throughout the 2 hour session. I would highly recommend Pippa if you are seeking an expert in the field of writing or editing, or to assist with your own self-published work. Thank you, Pippa, it was a very informative and enjoyable 2-hour workshop.’ Nikki Cooper, Maula Bay NSW, Author and Self-Publisher.
Grammar & Punctuation Primer Workshop, 21 August 2016, ACT Writers Centre
‘Thanks heaps for an engaging and informative workshop. We had a very animated dinner table discussion that night, with both parents and children sharing their thoughts and knowledge on the importance of grammar and punctuation. The basis of our conversation was my handwritten notes from your workshop, along with the notes you gave out (best way to learn, along with practice, I think). We appreciated your knowledge and passion for the subject, and it was fantastic to have your notes for reference. Thanks again for the work you put into the handouts and the powerpoint slides, and for sharing your passion.’ Larissa, Canberra
Non-Fiction Editing Workshop, 11 June 2016, Comments from Participants in response to the question: What did you like about the workshop?
- Knowledgeable leader, well organised and responsive.
- Relevant, Informative.
- Comfortable atmosphere to ask questions.
- Discussions and examples.
- New concepts.
- Positive and informative.
- It was very comprehensive.
- Very practical, very useful.
- Dispelled my myths about what ‘editing’/process involves. The whole day was full of energy and content.
Fiction Editing Workshop, 30 April 2016, Comments from Participants in response to the question: What did you like about the workshop?
- It was exactly what I was after and delivered.
- Good insight into the difficulties that editing – fiction or any other type of genre – poses.
- The leader – Pippa – was very knowledgeable and experienced and she was able to share this knowledge clearly and well.
- Good for me to review again what I have done on my online course (and to clarify).
- Pippa was very knowledgeable about a whole range of editing issues and approaches.
Yarrendale Enterprises Pty Ltd (editing)
In August 2015 I engaged Dr Pippa Carron to provide editing services for large, 60-page report which contained technical law court language, extensive data analysis and complex cross referencing. With the audience for the report comprising primarily judges and executives, it was critical that the report be grammatically correct, consistent and highly polished. Pippa’s editing went above and beyond what I expected. Not only did she complete a thorough copy edit, she significantly improved the report through her attention to detail in all areas including cross referencing and labelling of figures. Pippa was professional to deal with. She delivered her materials on time and to the highest quality standard. She was willing to work outside of standard working hours to ensure that the report was complete. I have no hesitation in recommending Pippa to others and look forward to working with her again.
- Theresa Layton, Director, Yarrendale Enterprises Pty Ltd
ActewAGL Distribution (editing)
Dr Pippa Carron provided editing services for ActewAGL Distribution in June 2015. The work comprised a substantive edit of a major submission of 90 pages, plus 14 appendixes of some 450 pages. She then carried out a complete copy edit of all the documents two weeks later. The material was highly complex and required considerable attention to detail of numbers and technical terminology. She provided essential advice on editing standards and options for in-house style decisions. Her flexibility in work hours and rapid turn-around of edited documents assisted my team meet its very tight deadline. I found Dr Carron to be both highly professional and very personable in all her communications (in person, by phone and by email). She was open, friendly and agreeable at all times, and gave me great confidence that the final product would be as good as it could be given the very tight time constraints my team was working under. I have no hesitation in recommending Dr Carron for any editing or proofreading job, however large or small, and however technical.
- Philip Deamer, Manager, Gas Access Regulation, ActewAGL (30 August 2015)
Department of Industry and Science (training)
Dr Carron has delivered writing skills training courses to the Department of Industry and Science for the last three years, particularly in the areas of grammar and punctuation, and in improving writing efficiency. Her course materials are very practical. As well as a detailed powerpoint presentation, participants receive a comprehensive manual and workbook with exercises that are completed during the training sessions. Pippa has a very professional approach to everything she does. We have always found her to be reliable and highly organised. Her courses are packed full of essential learning material, plus plenty of examples of writing errors and how to fix them. Being a highly experienced trainer, she conducts very friendly and fun training sessions, while always staying on message. She is willing to assist participants with their individual queries and any problems they might have with their writing skills. She always receives a high or very high ranking for participant feedback on the quality of her presentation skills.
- Ruth Crosbie, Learning & Development, Department of Industry and Science.
Training Course Evaluation Comments (2015-16)
- Really interesting course, gave a great understanding of the fundamentals. (21 Aug15)
- One of the most professional courses, I have been to! (20Aug15)
- … the presenter was incredibly knowledgeable and very good. (20Aug15)
- Thank you for challenging me with the writing piece and for your wealth of knowledge and interesting stories. (2July15)
- Great session! Really enjoyable and well structured. Really enjoyed the presenter’s style and all of the interactive exercises. (2July15)
- The presenter (Pippa) presented the topic very well and stopped to clarify when needed. (21May15)
- Course content and written exercises were interesting and easy to complete. Course wasn’t daunting. Felt relaxed and felt I could speak freely. Well done Pippa. (25May15)
- Pippa is extremely knowledgeable on all facets of Essential Writing Skills. I cannot wait to attend her grammar course. (30Mar15)
- Having such an experienced facilitator meant that there was always a ‘live’ example to support the theory. (16Mar15)
- Pippa is a fantastic facilitator and knows her subject matter extremely well. (16Mar15)
- Very skilled and qualified facilitator with interesting professional background. (4Mar15)
Conferences, Festivals, Courses & Workshops Attended (2014-16)
- Advanced Creativity Coaching Training: Coaching Writers, Visual Artists and Performers (16 weeks with Eric Maisel), completed January 2016
- Introduction to Creativity Coaching Training (16 weeks with Eric Maisel), completed September 2015
- Introduction to Indexing with Glenda Browne, Sydney, 21 October 2015
- Authorpreneurship: The Business of Creativity with Hazel Edwards, Canberra, 17 October 2015
- Writing a Non-boring Family History with Hazel Edwards, Canberra, 17 October 2015
- Introduction to Creativity Coaching with Eric Maisel, On-line, June to September 2015
- Australian Society of Authors Annual Congress, Sydney, 11-12 September 2015
- Pitch Perfect with Emily Booth, Sydney, 5 September 2015
- Fiction Writing & History with Gillian Polack, Canberra, 1 August 2015
- Structural Editing: Fiction with Nicola O’Shea, Sydney, 17 June 2015
- Self Publishing Workshop with Nikki Cooper, Batemans Bay, 7 June 2015
- Batemans Bay Writers Festival, Batemans Bay, 5-7 June 2015
- Irresistible Voices with Andy Kissane, Canberra, 11 May 2015
- 2015 Conference for Australian Editors, Indexers and Publishing Professionals, Canberra, 6-9 May 2015
- Masterclass for the essentials of editing fiction with Kaaren Sutcliffe, Canberra, 5 May 2015
- How to Audition your Characters Masterclass with Valerie Parv, Canberra, 2-3 May 2015
- Mentors’ Edge Masterclass with Alison Manning, Sydney, 18 April 2015
- Riding the Wave of YA Success with Kaz Delaney, Canberra, 8 November 2014
- Book Marketing and Self-Promotion with Tania McCartney, Canberra, 18 October 2014
- Weaving Taut Plots with Jack Heath, Canberra, 20 September 2014
- Writing a Page-Turning Novel with Valerie Parv, Canberra, 14-15 June 2014
- Batemans Bay Writers Festival, Batemans Bay, 7-8 June 2014
- Sydney Writers Festival, Sydney, 23-25 May 2014
- Judge, 2015 ACT Writing and Publishing Awards, Nonfiction Category